header-left
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 2851-2022    Version: 1
Type: Ordinance Status: Passed
File created: 10/13/2022 In control: Finance Committee
On agenda: 11/7/2022 Final action: 11/10/2022
Title: To authorize expenditures of up to $5,650.00 from the Department of Finance and Management General Fund budget to pay for food, beverage, and musician services related to the public dedication of the Priscilla R. Tyson Cultural Arts Center; to authorize the transfer of $5,000.00 within the General Fund; to authorize the expenditure of up to $5,650.00 from the General Fund; and to declare an emergency ($5,650.00).
Attachments: 1. Ord 2851-2022 Legislation Template
Explanation

Background: This ordinance authorizes an expenditure of up to $5,650.00 from the General Fund for the purchase of food, beverage, and musician services in connection with a public dedication ceremony. The Department of Finance and Management has a need to pay for these goods and services related to the public dedication of the Priscilla R. Tyson Cultural Arts Center, located at 139 West Main Street. The honor was bestowed at a public event recognizing the former councilmember’s life-long commitment to advancing the arts and quality of life in the City of Columbus. The arts are a significant contributor to the strength and vitality of the Columbus economy, generating $412 million in economic impact annually. The dedication ceremony occurred on Friday, October 7, 2022 and was open to the general public. The Priscilla R. Tyson Cultural Arts Center remained open during the dedication ceremony as a means for the public to enjoy interacting with the arts and in celebration of a new chapter in the history of the Center. Approximately 200 individuals attended the event. No alcoholic beverages were served at this event.
The Priscilla R. Tyson Cultural Arts Center, located at 139 West Main Street in Downtown Columbus, has been home to the Cultural Arts Center for more than four decades. Originally built in 1814, the facility first served as a state penitentiary, then later housed weapons and horses during the American Civil War. It was demolished in 1861 and rebuilt as it exists today. Added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 18, 1974, it was transformed into the Cultural Arts Center with the help of a $1.4 million grant from the U.S. Department of Commerce, officially opening to the public on June 11, 1978. Today, the structure is part of the Scioto Mile tourist district and features a ceramics studio, painting and weaving labs, and two galleries. It offers community arts classes and programs for artists of all levels, including Conversations...

Click here for full text